Kids in the Community is our employee-driven initiative, which relies on the SpecKids Team and support from our generous sponsors, to fund a variety of initiatives in the community designed to improve the lives of children in need.
- funding for Green Gym equipment at Jackie Washington Rotary Park on the former Plastimet site on Wellington Street North near Barton Street. We chose to install equipment in that park because it is at the intersection of four of the most disadvantaged neighbourhoods in the city, where there are few resources for kids and no access to playground equipment.
- providing enriching day trips to cultural, educational and sporting events for area students who might not otherwise have the opportunity.
- partnering with Hess Street School on a variety of initiatives, including:
- a bursary program for Grade 8 kids demonstrating “unlimited potential”
- funding and volunteer support for an annual turkey dinner
- funding and volunteer support for an annual play day
- support for graduation activities
- support for day trips
- occasional funding for team uniforms, sporting equipment, bus trips and other emergent needs
- The Change Challenge, a new initiative which will provide a $25,000 grant to an organization or individual with a brilliant idea to help improve the lives of children in our community. The SpecKids team will choose the finalists from all the submissions, and the public will vote on the winner.